Using multiple sockets

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 106 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 106 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Hello list,

I noticed that the SRFI 106 draft does not mention any way of using
multiple sockets. Let's take a concrete example: an IRC server. The
server must be able to wait for new incoming connections and at the same
time wait for already connected clients to send commands. A good quality
IRC server also needs a non-blocking DNS resolver, so that it can look
up the hostnames of new clients. It will also try to connect to the
"ident" port of new clients, so it needs a non-blocking way to establish
new connections.

One way to write a server like this is by using threads or something
similar. Another way is to base it around non-blocking I/O and something
equivalent to the select() call from Unix, but this then needs to be
integrated with a DNS resolver library.

How would you suggest that SRFI 106 be used to write an IRC server?
Perhaps an IRC server seems a little too complicated for this SRFI, if
it aims to be simple. But most servers will need some aspect of what I
have described.

Regards,

--
GÃran Weinholt <goran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"You never give me your money, you only give me your funny paper."