Re: arity failures

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 102 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 102 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I rather think that the point of the arity query procedure
is for some kind of crude optimization, rather than strict
error checking, given the nature of the ambiguity Thomas mentioned.

For example, higher order procedure can branch out the typical
cases to avoid folding arguments (it can be abstracted to a macro).

(define (complement fn)
  (case (arity fn) ;; some optimization
    ((0) (lambda () (not (fn))))
    ((1) (lambda (x) (not (fn x))))
    ((2) (lambda (x y) (not (fn x y))))
    (else (lambda args (not (apply fn args))))))

If an implementation doesn't care about such kludge, it can
just have procedure-arity return "arbitrary number of arguments"
to all the procedures.  Third-party library written in the above
way can still work without any disadvantages.

--shiro