Proposal: equal?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 101 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 101 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

An efficient and portable definition of `equal?' that does what you would expect (tests for structural equality) in the case of random-access pairs and lists can be defined in terms of the procedures provided by SRFI 101, however the implementation requirements imposed by R6RS for `equal?' are quite sophisticated. For this reason, I propose adding `equal?' to the specification and reference implementation to avoid duplication of efforts.

I propose the behavior of this procedure should be unspecified on systems with disjoint linear-access and random-access pairs when given two pairs with differing representations.

Unless there are objections, I will add this to the next revision of the SRFI.

David