Abbreviated names in SRFI-1

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 1 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 1 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Some of the names in SRFI-1 seem needlessly abbreviated.  I am thinking
about

	XCONS		could be REVERSE-CONS
	FOLDL		could be FOLD-LEFT
	FOLDR		could be FOLD-RIGHT
	PAIR-FOLDL	could be PAIR-FOLD-LEFT
	PAIR-FOLDR	could be PAIR-FOLD-RIGHT
	REDUCEL		could be REDUCE-LEFT
	REDUCER		could be REDUCE-RIGHT

Some of these abbreviations are common in the FP community, for sure,
but nothing appears gained by using the abbreviations when the fully
expanded names are less cryptic, barely longer, and do not preempt other
useful names (REDUCER is a natural name for a procedure that is passed
to REDUCE-*, for example).  Thus, I suggest that these procedures be
renamed as above.

Along the same lines, DELQ and DELV (or REMQ and REMV) are perhaps
reasonable because they are symmetric with ASSQ and ASSV, but rather
than introducing the general DEL it seems more appropriate to allow an
optional argument to DELETE, as Sergei Egorov has already suggested.

--lars