Re: Why reference SRFI's at all

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 97 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 97 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I've discussed this point previously in another forum.

Users don't care that some particular library was born of a SRFI.  Olin Shivers' list library is a SRFI (1 is one of the few SRFI numbers I can remember, along with 40 and 41); Andrew Wright's pattern matching macro isn't.  Why should one library hide in a SRFI-ghetto while the other doesn't?

Nor do users want to look up a number any time they need to invoke a library.  Likewise, those who read unfamiliar code don't want to be distracted the SRFI numbers.  Symbolic names are easier to remember and understand.  Authors of academic papers are urged not to give references as [3] but instead to write [BW88] or [WTM98], which some readers will instantly recognize as Bird and Wadler's 1988 textbook on functional programming or the 1998 paper on even/odd streams by Wadler, Taha and MacQueen.  Shouldn't we do the same for SRFI?

I object to any naming convention that uses the word "srfi" or the srfi-numbers.