Re: politics etc. (usual top-posting apology)

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 84 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 84 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On 2/1/06, bear <bear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Alex Shinn wrote:
>
> > I'm claiming that to be secure there must be a unique mapping from
> > name to entity, and this has to be _verifiable_ by automated means.
> > In terms of Zooko's Triangle, the verification can either be
> > decentralized (by making the name itself a signature), or
> > human-readable, by establishing a trusted authority which can answer
> > "who does this name belong to?" but you can't have both.
>
> So no anonymous authors of code can exist in a secure system?
> I don't actually like that definition.

"Secure" means the name is authenticated to belong to some entity.
This doesn't include a definition of "entity."  The entity could
simply be a public key, anonymously uploaded to an authority (or just
floated out on the web if using a decentralized system).

And I reiterate, this is only about the security of the _name_ itself,
not the code.

--
Alex