Re: Delegating ownership of namespaces named through schemers.org

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 84 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 84 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Andrew Wilcox wrote:

I haven't thought about what a schemers.org library registry might
look like in any kind of detail, but what I had in mind was along
these lines.

You might want to take a look at what we're doing with PLaneT, PLT's CPAN-like package repository (http://planet.plt-scheme.org/). We use a central authority to hand out names and we file packages into categories, but we separate those two features from each other --- if you submit a package X.plt, its _name_ will be something like ("wilcox" "X.plt") but it might be _filed under_ database tools, or
metaprogramming, or maybe even both.

I'm not a fan of baking content-related hierarchies directly into package names --- many packages don't fit neatly into one
category, and even worse if a package's purpose migrates over time,
either its name will become misleading or it will have to change. And
the advantages you get over having a taxonomy that's just overlaid seems minimal; you might get a little extra readability in code you've written, but in practice that doesn't seem to be a big problem
anyway.

-jacob