why have any restrictions?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 84 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 84 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

The proposal is interesting. I would take it to be a useful convention for readability and a useful way to avoid clashes.

But some of the restrictions need unnecessary.

Who cares if there at dots in names? web:plt.org:extensions seems ok.

Why does :: need to be special? If a library foo:bar is registered, then foo:bar:more is just as expression and clash free as foo:bar::more.

What is wrong with saying things like srfi-73x?

If URLs are allowed, why restrict to only http:. Why shouldn't ftp: be allowed, or jar: to extract contents from an archive. Why not file: for local libs, or for during development?

I am finding that Java's notion of reversing the order of domain names in package names allows on to express namespaces "logical" scopes more naturally. Consider:

Myself I would have a very very simple rule: use Java's package naming convention and be done with it. Your domain name gives the uniqueness. Use a *single* separator by convention, either . or : or / or -, but just stick with it. Note also that this does not prevent the use certain prefixes with domain names since they are useful in their own right, e.g. srfi-N, r6rs, etc. (Although I would prefer scheme:r6rs instead). But when in doubt about uniqueness a domain prefx can be used.