Re: fundamental design issues (long message)

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 83 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 83 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Bear wrote:
> I want to be sure that a module system for scheme should
> be *at least* that useful in resolving dependencies and
> supporting separated compilation.

When some library A is compiled, the compiler could include all sorts
of interesting annotations about the exported identifiers in the
compiled form.  Then, when compiling a library B that imports A, the
compiler must visit A, and thus gets a chance to pick up that groovy
information.

In other words, the fact that libraries may export macros requires a
tight enough binding between one compilation and the next that the
compiler can also silently pass whatever static information it likes
about a library's exports to libraries that import it.

(I think.  It's late.)