Re: SRFI 78 draft extension

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 78 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 78 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

David Van Horn wrote:
The draft period for SRFI 78: Lightweight testing has been extended
until January 31.  Unless significant issues are raised between now and
then, it is likely to be finalized.

A significant issue has been raised: that it wastefully duplicates
SRFI-64.  I really think it is a bad idea to have two SRFIs for
testing that both have a very similar style.  (I know some people
might like a more "object-oriented" framework such as SchemeUnit.
However SRFI-78 is closer in style to SRFI-64 than to SchemeUnit.)

In addition SRFI-78 is missing some fairly essential functionality.

I've expressed willingness to modify SRFI-64 if it is deficient.
The other complaint about SRFI-64 (besides it's tardiness, I'm sorry)
is that it has too much functionality.  If that is a problem we could
split SRFI-64 into a "test-writer" API and a "test-runner" API.  That
might make it easier for people to digest what they need.  (However, I
would prefer not to have to split the implementation - I don't think
that would be useful.)

Unfortunately, I have not gotten any feedback on these suggestions.
I was hoping for some willingness on Sabastian's to work with us on
getting to a common API, but haven't seen any sign of that.  Sigh.
--
	--Per Bothner