Re: Some comments relating to ICFP contest

Andre van Tonder <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> - No support for 32-bit or 64-bit integers.
> - No support for unsigned 32-bit/64-bit arithmetic, including unsigned division.
> - No support for bit operations on 32-bit or 64-bit quantities.
> - No support for uniform unboxed arrays.

For sure, SRFI 77 doesn't have 32-bit or 64-bit integers *as types*.
(And that would cause major pain with the way Scheme's arithmetic is
generally set up.)  However, it does have the necessary operations to
easily implement 32-bit or 64-bit unsigned or two's complement
arithmetic in the form of `div+mod' and `div0+mod0' operations.  As
such, it also has bit operations on them.

SRFI 77 doesn't have, but R6RS will have, support for "unboxed arrays"
of numbers in the form of a variation on SRFI 74.  I'm not sure they
qualify as "uniform," but is the uniformity crucial to your
application?

> - I see <digit-16> admits only lowercase a to f.  This is not a problem
>   when writing new code, but may be a pain when inputting or copying
>   existing hex numbers.  Many (most?) hex numbers out there are
>   in uppercase.

As it stands currently (may not be the final word), the intro to that
section in R6RS will have a sentence specifying case insensitivity for
numerical constants.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike