Re: numerical conditioning MAGNITUDE and /

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
> The correct versions are unlikely to be much slower than naive ones;
> correct-/ is perhaps faster.  So the arguments for implementing these
> procedures incorrectly are weak.

I haven't heard any arguments at all for implementing
those procedures incorrectly.

On the other hand, it often happens that people fail
to distinguish between arguments for incorrectness
and arguments against attempting to require correctness.

We often see this in the political and legal arenas.
If you oppose a constitutional amendment to make
flag-burning a capital offense, someone will say you
want people to burn flags.

Will