Re: Integer residue-classes [was: Questions about srfi-77 Generic Arithmetic]

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Will wrote:
> Denying the ad hockitude doesn't make it go away.
> [...]
> I therefore raise this as an issue:  Should we choose the
> representatives based on the sign of the second argument,
> as in Egner et al and in SRFI 77, or should we redefine
> div and mod to choose the representatives consistently in
> all cases, and define a second pair of procedures that use
> the second most important choice of representatives?

I would really appreciate if you read my posting before you
repeat parts of it in a rather annoying and personal fashion,
and put them forward as your own inventions.

And, yes, I do understand "Dr. Lucier's objection" and it
is not worth a lot, as I explained.

> The background material you provided will help me to explain
> how little is at stake here to those who are wondering
> what this is about, and I thank you for that.

I see. You are probably right, discussing this with you
is indeed a waste of my time.

Sincerely,

Dr. Egner