Re: Arithmetic issues - feedback

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

bear scripsit:

> First, there is the well-known problematic property of binary-mantissa
> and binary-exponent representation that no decimal fraction can be
> exactly represented. This is of course is shared with virtually all
> languages except those (Ada I think, and maybe COBOL) which insist on
> exact decimal fractions in their spec.

The Rexx family (including Object Rexx and NetRexx) also insist on exact
decimal fractions.  Java provides exact decimal fractions in a library,
but there is no syntax for them, so coercions from int, float, or string
constants must be performed at run time.  COBOL provides exact decimal
fractions and allows machine-specific floats and ints as common extensions.

--
Ambassador Trentino: I've said enough. I'm a man of few words.
Rufus T. Firefly: I'm a man of one word: scram!