Re: arithmetic issues

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Michael Sperber wrote:
I don't know what exactly characterizes your notions of "base
language" and "library."

I understood that R6RS would be organized into a base language and a set of library modules. So, to me, the base language is what you have if you do not import any library modules.

If "base language" means "what's needed to
build the other stuff," then that would clearly mean that the flonums
need to be in it.

No, I do not mean that. I mean, "what's exposed to the programmer by default".

If you mean "library" means something that an
implementation may or may not support, then see the rationale of the
SRFI why that wouldn't be a good idea.

No, I do not mean that. I mean, "what the programmer has to explicitly import".

Whether bits of the library are optional is another matter. I can see arguments both for and against it.

If you think that SRFI 77
should really be made available in R6RS as a set of library modules
rather than just one big blob for organizational reasons, then I fully
agree with you---we just didn't have the methodology to do it when we
wrote the draft.  I'm hoping we might have it once we get to putting
stuff into R6RS.

Yes. My biggest dislike of SRFI-77 is more to do with exposing these routines in the base language rather than pushing them off into the library.

Regards,

Alan
--
Dr Alan Watson