Re: Common Lisp solved this problem 20 years ago

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Taylor Campbell wrote:
Coercion to integers of a given modulus, for
example, from other integers, is accomplished with a procedure we
already have in R5RS, namely MODULO;

Not the same.  The coercion creates a value with a different run-time
type, such that the generic + operator uses modulo arithmetic.

   Neither: it's not the operations that change: It's the
   operand that changes.  The operation + is already defined so that
   if the operands are IEEE 64-bit *values* then we use 64-bit flonum
   flonum addition etc.  But's that's the way R5RS already works - we're
   just being more precise and allowing for more data types.

Why would it not be perfectly allowable for, say, the * procedure to
return a 128-bit flonum when given two 64-bit flonums?

Does that make any sense?  A more meaningful example would be
multiplying to 64-bit fixnum (modulo-64) integers to yield a 128-bit
result.

Similarly,
why would you not specify that you want IEEE 64-bit flonum arithmetic
using an explicit IEEE 64-bit flonum operation, like IEEE-FLO64*, to
clearly indicate this in the program?

First, its more verbose.  But more importantly, if you change the
representation of a variable then you have to check and possibly change
every place in the program that references the variable.  I.e. it's
more error-prone, hurts modularity, and hurts maintainance.

   The declarations coerce to an appropriate data type.
   I.e. you coerce an integer to a (modulo-int N), and arithmetic
   on the (modulo-int N) *type* is defined to be modular.

So are you saying that the 'type declaration' really *does* affect the
semantics of the operations on the integer objects?   I'm not quite
clear on how you can otherwise signify that some integer is 'modular'
in a way that the + operator can distinguish by run-time tag; integers
are integers.

Conceptually, there *is* a separate run-time tag.  We have an extensible
type system with records, so we're not limited to a finite set of tags.

I.e. a modulo-N value can be converted to/from integers, but it is not
a (regular-old) integer.

Now the compiler as an optimization can and should "unbox" the values
and generate machine arithmetic without tags.

Note I'm not saying my proposal is the "right" approach nor am I pushing
it for R6RS.  However, I think it is consistent, and has a number of
advantages: it is (at least partly) implemented, is fairly readable and
compact, generates good code using simple type-propagation, and is
useful for documentation and catching errors.
--
	--Per Bothner