Re: reading NaNs

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

> In an implementation which boxes flonums, NaNs aren't a single value;

Yeah, and that's why we have eq? and eqv? NaNs, like other numbers, need not be eq? but should be eqv? if they have the same bit pattern.

> Closures and continuations are atomic

But "atomic" I don't mean "not a pair". I not quite sure how to define it, but perhaps "something that can be finitely enumerated" gets close. Perhaps "atomic" is not the best name for this property.

Anyway, this property is shared by chars, fixnums, flonums, null, EOF objects. These (with the understandable exception of EOF) have standard read syntax. By extension, the bignums and derivaties, while not finite, also have a read syntax.

Anyway, NaNs clearly share this property, so I would suggest they have a read syntax.

Regards,

Alan
--
Dr Alan Watson