Re: arithmetic issues

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Taylor Campbell wrote:

>If Aubrey Jaffer's suggestion of NaNs encapsulating information about
>their origin be adopted, I think it would make sense to extend the NAN
>procedure to accept more arguments, of any nature, to specify any
>information whatsoever about the condition, like T's UNDEFINED-VALUE
>mechanism.  Of course, one possible value would be (LAMBDA ARGS (/ 0.0
>0.0)).

Sure. But it only makes sense on implementations that have more than one
NaN (and aren't using it for anything else like characters or fixnums),
so it's probably a good idea to standardize that the (nan) routine can
take additional arguments, but not specify that it has to do anything in
particular with them.

				Bear