Re: arithmetic issues

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Why no current implementation uses sparse arrays as the representation
> of (some) vectors? Or does any?

Maybe none has gotten around to it?

> If no implementation does a particular thing, then perhaps it's not
> a wise choice to do.

That's a fundamentally bogus argument.  If there's a reason it's
unwise, then let's hear it.  It needs to be a reason why it's *always*
unwise, not just why it's unwise in general-purpose Scheme systems.
(Though for the life of me I can't think of any reason there either.)

No Scheme implementation that I know of supports writing Scheme
programs that include identifiers written in the Devanagari script.
But that doesn't mean it's an unwise thing to do; it's just that there
aren't many Sanskrit users of Scheme yet.

> Leaving room for it only reduces programmer confidence and
> encourages them to rely on common practice instead of on standard
> guarantees.

"Reduces programmer confidence"?  Huh?  Programmer confidence in what?

It's you that seems to have mistaken common practice for a standard
guarantee.  Rewriting the standard so that it standardizes common
practice is not the solution.

Thomas