Re: Arithmetic issues - feedback

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 Mike Sperber wrote:

 > Now, the Issues section in the SRFI is pretty long.  We were hoping to
 > get some feedback on where people stand on these issues...

 - Should a minimum precision be required for fixnums or flonums?

   I would prefer not (principle of sufficient reason - von Leibniz ;-)

 - Generic arithmetic: I prefer possibility 4 (R5RS-style Generic Arithmetic).

 - The x|53 mantissa default seems arbitrary and I'd rather see it
   unspecified (principle of sufficient reason).

 - Should R6RS allow other inexact reals beside the flonums?

   I don't know, but a related question:  Does the spec in principle
   disallow extensions for exact reals that are not exact rationals,
   in the sense of Edalat, Potts, etc.?
   (See e.g. http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ae/exact-computation/ ).

 Cheers
 Andre