Re: implementation categories, exact rationals

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 77 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 77 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

 | Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:26:46 -0400
 | From: "John.Cowan" <jcowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 |
 | Aubrey Jaffer scripsit:
 |
 | > What is the rationale for mandating exact rationals?  Over 15 years I
 | > have written numerical Scheme code for everything from symbolic
 | > algebra to Galois fields to linear systems to optics simulations
 | > without needing exact rationals.
 | >
 | > A case could be made if (expt -26. 1/3) returned -2.9624960684073702;
 | > but I know of no Scheme implementation that does so.
 |
 | Why would that be desirable?

Because it is the cube root of -26.  A better example is:
(expt -27 1/3) ==> -3