Re: Withdrawal near

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 76 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 76 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Just a wish...

I am increasingly terrified by the complexity of the proposals that are
meant to fuel the progress of Scheme as a language, i.e. R6RS.

Please reduce things to the essence before you decide to extend
the Scheme language itself.

In the case of SRFI 76 this means the following. You write:

> The explicit-naming syntactic layer cannot be implemented using syntax-rules alone.

Clearly, this is even more true for the implicit-naming syntax.

Are the features worth it? Are there alternatives that would be able to most
of it with plain hygienic macros? Would that be much of a sacrifice?

(As you might know, I sometimes teach students "If your extension cannot be
done with procedures and hygienic macros, it might not be worth doing at all.")

Sebastian