Re: Distinct fields

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 76 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 76 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Andre van Tonder <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The issues section states:
>
> "Macros that expand into the implicit-naming layer might have unexpected
> behavior, as field names that are distinct as identifiers may not be distinct
> as symbols, which is how they're used."
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Is the concept of distinctness defined with respect to symbolic equivalence?

Not so far as I know.

> It is not obvious to me that this should be the case.
> In the context of syntax-case, my first thought was that perhaps
> free-identifier=? might be a more appropriate predicate for
> distinctness, but then the following occurred to me:
>
> (define-syntax foo
>   (syntax-rules ()
>     ((_ f)
>      (define-record-type p
>        (fields (mutable x)       ; - would make a secret p-x
>                (mutable f))))))  ; - would make a toplevel p-x
>                                  ;   when called as below
>
> (foo x)
>
> In implementations of syntax-case that treat defines on
> macro-generated identifiers as establishing "secret" bindings
> (such as Chez and PLT), the p-x bindings for the two fields would
> be distinct, and not interfere, even though they are
> free-identifier=?  So the example would probably work.

That would depend on the way the macro defining the implicit
variant of DEFINE-RECORD-TYPE is written, right?  In particular, I
think the ones that I wrote decompose the names into strings and then
back, so I think any distinctness might get lost on the way.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike