Re: bit or byte?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 74 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 74 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Sebastian Egner <sebastian.egner@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Nice thing!
>
> It is a controversial thing, but it is also important:
>
>     Why is the smallest addressable unit in a blob an octet and not a bit?

Because they're the most common and useful way of dealing with binary
data in my world.  A bit blob (or a set of bit blob operations on
octet blobs) seem like a good idea, but seems like a subject for a
separate SRFI.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike