Re: NaN

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 70 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 70 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Per Bothner wrote:

>The rationale discusses NaN, but I think the solution that
>0/0. = 0/0. is wrong.  I think it is important to be compatible
>with IEEE, and that 0/0. be the same as NaN.
>
>The Kawa solution (which I think is the right one):

Well, obviously...  if you didn't think it were the right one,
then it wouldn't be the Kawa solution, would it?  :-)

>(define NaN ...)
>(= NaN NaN) => #f
>(eq? NaN NaN) => #t
>(eqv? NaN NaN) => #t
>(equal? NaN NaN) => #t
>
>This may technically violate R5RS, but I think it's the
>best choice if we want to be compatible with IEEE, which
>think we do.

I also think that this is the correct answer, and that
R%RS needs revision on this point.

				Bear