Re: string->number

Aubrey Jaffer <agj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Yes, I should have written "inexact numbers".

Ok, but when we speak of symbolic "infinite precision" representations
of sqrt(2), presumably we are using exact numbers.

> Can number->string return a string which can't be READ as a number?
>
> I had thought that 6.2.4 "Syntax of numerical constants" and 7.1.1
> "Lexical structure" applied to the results of NUMBER->STRING.  If they
> are independent, a note about that should be added to the report.

I think they do, but implementations certainly can extend the syntax
of numbers if they wish (provided that NUMBER->STRING, STRING->NUMBER,
and READ all behave in the expected way).

Thomas