Re: more on finalization issue, and reference implementation

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It would be much appreciated if you could split it up.

Could you suggest a division?

I see four parts immediately:

- primitive layer (including the basic condition hierarchy)
- streams layer (including making transcoder codecs from translators)
- ports layer (including making ports from readers and writers)
- stream ports

The tricky bit is what to do about the transcoders, which are shared
between the stream layer and the ports layer.  Choices are:

- separate SRFI (but not useful independently)
- put it in the primitive layer (but we can't do anything with them
  here)
- put them in the streams layer (but that means the ports layer
  depends on the streams layer)
- put them in both the streams layer and the ports layer (but, if
  there's a 1:1 correspondence between modules and SRFIs, this may
  cause pragmatics difficulties)

If we're just talking about different modules, clearly the transcoders
should be separate.

Suggestions, anyone?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike