Re: Specification vs. Implementation

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> If ports are required to support byte operations, then there
> is little point in a separate primitive byte i/o layer.

The primitive I/O layer, besides offering more control over
performance, also allows you to create access to arbitrary data
sources easily.  Scheme systems have traditionally done this at the
ports level, but it is difficult to get right there.  (For
entertainment value, look at the interface in the PLT v3xx series.)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike