Re: Mixing characters and bytes

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Michael Sperber wrote:

> * Performace:  Using streams is expensive - at the very least it puts
> a lot of pressure on the garbage collector.  A program that uses
> imperative ports should not have to use streams just because it
> wants to use a non-utf-8 encoding.

I actually suspect that transcoding from arbitrary lookahead offset
the GC cost on systems with good GCs.

> * Complexity:  Having to deal with a very different abstraction
> just because I want to use a non-utf-8 encoding complicates my
> program and my mental model.
> * Switching encodings: You can't switch encodings without switching
> ports.

Fair enough.  I had trouble figuring it out how to make it work, which
is one reason why I punted on it.  (It's trickier than what you
suggest.)  But I believe I've found a way to do it, which I hope I can
incorporate in the next revision.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike