Re: Specification vs. Implementation

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The current draft says:
>   Streams and ports from the upper layers of the I/O system always
>   perform access through the abstractions provided by [the primitive
>   I/O] layer.
> Hopefully that's not intentional - I certainly don't intend to go
> through the primitive I/O layer to do I/O!

No, it's not.  Thanks for catching it!

> I think the Primitive I/O layer has very limited usefulness.
> It is somewhat similar to JAVA 1.4's 'java.nio' (New I/O) package,
> which I think very few people are using directly, and even fewer
> are using without also using non-blocking I/O.

I agree it's won't be commonly used.  However, for a number of uses
(whenever you create a new kind of data source), it's absolutely
essential.

> Input streams might be useful, but I don't understand what
> output streams are for.

They're there mainly for symmetry, for people who want to live
exclusively in the streams layer.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike