Re: finalize or withdraw?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On 8/23/05, Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm missing your point, or vice versa.  My point is: if I as a
> computer create a text file without doing anything special,
> it will have a particular encoding that is presumably suitable
> for my language and environment.  This default encoding may
> have been set up by my system administrator or the company
> that sold me my computer.

This is a tricky issue.  Even given your locale is set to some encoding,
it's not clear whether files should be read and created in that encoding
by default, or in UTF-8 by default as in Mac OS X and Windows.

There was some discussion on this on the PLT list:

  http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2005-February/007912.html

--
Alex