Re: Minor comments

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

These are excellent comments all---many thanks!

Most of what you suggest will be in the next revision.  Some comments:

Amir Livne Bar-On <amirlb@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> open-file-reader+writer is not specified to return results equivalent to
> open-file-reader and open-file-writer. Is this intentional?

Yes.  It may not be possible to call OPEN-FILE-READER and
OPEN-FILE-WRITER on the same file, because the underlying platform
(Windows does this) enforces exclusive access.  I'll add a note
explaining this.

> More documentation on open-u8vector-writer and writer-u8vector is called
> for. At the very least, create a little section that states explicitly
> that the created writer uses a private buffer that is unshared with
> writer-u8vector's result (if these are indeed the semantics).

It does say "newly allocated."  However, the description of
OPEN-U8VECTOR-READER was lacking in exactly this respect---will fix.

> This is a great I/O framework.

Thanks for the praise!

> I wish I knew more, and could comment
> on the real, technical issues. That said, I'm a little worried about
> the octets vs. bits decision -- there is a use for bitwise I/O.

Sure.  But note bitwise I/O could be added in an orthogonal fashion to
the current API---I see nothing that would actually need to be changed
per se.  (Of course, this would have significant impact on the
implementation, but that's a different story.)

--
Cheers =8-} Mike