Re: output streams vs output ports

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 68 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 68 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Shiro Kawai <shiro@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is there a portable way (i.e. can be written in portable C)
> to avoid calling synchronization primitives (e.g. pthread_mutex_lock)
> if the implementation uses native threads?

But if you're using native threads, aren't read(2) and write(2)
already thread-safe in some sense?  (I really don't know.)

That's where most of the potentially expensive synchronization is,
anyway.  There's a little bit in the streams layer, but I'm not sure
avoiding that would be worth the potential pain.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike