Re: output streams vs output ports

Shiro Kawai <shiro@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is there a portable way (i.e. can be written in portable C)
> to avoid calling synchronization primitives (e.g. pthread_mutex_lock)
> if the implementation uses native threads?

But if you're using native threads, aren't read(2) and write(2)
already thread-safe in some sense?  (I really don't know.)

That's where most of the potentially expensive synchronization is,
anyway.  There's a little bit in the streams layer, but I'm not sure
avoiding that would be worth the potential pain.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike