Re: closing reader / writer

Shiro Kawai <shiro@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> What I can do in the 'close' procedure is affected so much by
> whether 'close' procedure may be called from finalizers or not.
> Because of the asynchronous nature of the finalizers,
> when the finalizer is involved, I need to write 'close' procedure
> with care as if I'm writing preemptive multithreaded program,
> even if the program itself is single threaded.

I don't understand how the asynchronous nature of finalizers comes in:
By nature, in this scenario, the finalizer can only be called *after*
the Scheme program is finished with a reader or writer, so no
interleaving with explicit calls from the user program is possible.

My thinking is that a program would have trouble even observing that a
finalizer has been called in a meaningful manner.  I'm probably
missing something---could you help me out?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike