[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: HTML problems in draft




Hello Per,

As far as I understand, the character encoding is not specified in
the HTML document, but is supposed to be provided by the
webserver; the default being ISO-8859-1. However, the encoding
information is lost when you use Opera's "validate source" option,
or the standard interface of validator.w3.org.

If you use the 'extended interface' of validator.w3.org then it works.
Here is what I did yesterday before the SRFI was made public:

        http://validator.w3.org/detailed.html
        -> choose "Encoding: iso-8859-1 (Western Europe)"
        -> enter "Address: http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-67/srfi-67.html"
        -> press "Validate this page"

You will find that the character encoding is ok, but that there are a
few complaints about p- and span-tags. These are "automatically
generated HTML bugs" obtained by processing our LaTeX by tex2page.
The same holds for the <p></p> stuff, which is neither harmful nor wrong
but looks funny.

Since the SRFI's discussion is very likely triggering changes in the
LaTeX source, we have decided not to fix these bugs in the HTML
now, and since they are not very serious (as far as I can tell from
Opera and Safari), we also decided not to fix tex2page now.

So, unless you have serious problems viewing the content of the
SRFI, I would like to offer you my apologies for the non-compliant
HTML, and reassure you that fixing the HTML problems is scheduled
before the final release (in case that happens.)

Sebastian.

P.S. http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html doesn't validate either.
----
Dr. Sebastian Egner
Senior Scientist Channel Coding & Modulation
Philips Research Laboratories
Prof. Holstlaan 4 (WDC 1-051, 1st floor, room 51)
5656 AA Eindhoven
The Netherlands
tel:       +31 40 27-43166   *** SINCE 10-Feb-2005 ***
fax:      +31 40 27-44004
email: sebastian.egner@xxxxxxxxxxx








srfi-67-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06-04-2005 05:08

       
        To:        srfi-67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:        (bcc: Sebastian Egner/EHV/RESEARCH/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        HTML problems in draft

        Classification:        




There are some HTML problems with the draft.

First, http://validator.w3.org/ complains becaure there is
no character encoding specification, and the file contains
an invalid UTF-8 character (where UTF-8 is the default).
The problem is the ø in Søren, which appears to be Latin-1
instead.  See: http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-charset

Using an entity is the most robust solution:
  Jens Axel S&oslash;gaard

Spececifying iso-8859-1 lets us continue.
"This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!".

In addition, there are lots of near-empty paragraphs:
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
These may be technically valid, but it's pretty gross.

The page is generated using tex2page; perhaps there are bugs in
tex2page; or it was invoked incorrectly.

Another issue: To satisfy SRFI template requirements, there are
fake commented-out HTML headers, such as for <H1>Authors</H1>. A cleaner
solution, I think, is to use CSS, like I did in srfi-64:
http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html
--
                --Per Bothner
per@xxxxxxxxxxx   http://per.bothner.com/