Re: HTML problems in draft

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 67 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 67 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Hello Per,

As far as I understand, the character encoding is not specified in
the HTML document, but is supposed to be provided by the
webserver; the default being ISO-8859-1. However, the encoding
information is lost when you use Opera's "validate source" option,
or the standard interface of validator.w3.org.

If you use the 'extended interface' of validator.w3.org then it works.
Here is what I did yesterday before the SRFI was made public:

        http://validator.w3.org/detailed.html
        -> choose "Encoding: iso-8859-1 (Western Europe)"
        -> enter "Address: http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-67/srfi-67.html"
        -> press "Validate this page"

You will find that the character encoding is ok, but that there are a
few complaints about p- and span-tags. These are "automatically
generated HTML bugs" obtained by processing our LaTeX by tex2page.
The same holds for the <p></p> stuff, which is neither harmful nor wrong
but looks funny.

Since the SRFI's discussion is very likely triggering changes in the
LaTeX source, we have decided not to fix these bugs in the HTML
now, and since they are not very serious (as far as I can tell from
Opera and Safari), we also decided not to fix tex2page now.

So, unless you have serious problems viewing the content of the
SRFI, I would like to offer you my apologies for the non-compliant
HTML, and reassure you that fixing the HTML problems is scheduled
before the final release (in case that happens.)

Sebastian.

P.S. http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html doesn't validate either.
----
Dr. Sebastian Egner
Senior Scientist Channel Coding & Modulation
Philips Research Laboratories
Prof. Holstlaan 4 (WDC 1-051, 1st floor, room 51)
5656 AA Eindhoven
The Netherlands
tel:       +31 40 27-43166   *** SINCE 10-Feb-2005 ***
fax:      +31 40 27-44004
email: sebastian.egner@xxxxxxxxxxx

srfi-67-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06-04-2005 05:08