Re: If you like "u8vector" ...

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 66 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 66 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

First of all, thanks for the naming suggestions!

Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> One factor is that if you have binary I/O you might want to read other
> kinds of binary numbers and just byte arrays:  A picture might be an
> array of 32-bit integers, for example.  The "java.nio" package
> introduced in JDK 1.4 does support reading/writing uniform arrays that
> are not bytes, so this is not a complete fanciful idea. [...]

Yes, that makes sense.  However, aren't you really arguing for
Taylor's idea of having a single type for "blobs" and then having
access methods for various sequences of bits inside them?  (I have to
admit that I'm warming increasingly to this idea.)  Otherwise, the
concept is going to bloat every API that deals with similar objects
beyond recognition.  This way, most of the bloat would be right with
the "blob API" and stay there.  What do you think?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike