Not so much FILL! [was Re: Also SUBSEQ and FILL!]

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 66 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 66 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Michael Sperber wrote:

> Donovan> I would like to additionally suggest:
>
> Donovan>   (BYTE-VECTOR-FILL! byte-vector start-offset end-offset(or length?) value)
>
> Donovan> for the many times I find myself needing to fill just a portion of a byte
> Donovan> vector.
>
> For analogy with R5RS, this would make sense, and I was thinking about
> including it when I wrote the draft.  However, by leaving it out, I
> acknowledged the fact, that I never ever used BYTE-VECTOR-FILL! (or
> some equivalent) in my own code---and I did want to keep the SRFI
> minimal.
>
> Your experience seems to differ.  Could you provide a couple of
> examples to help convince me?

Ha on me!  You are exactly right.  I thought I did it all the time, but I
grepped around my code base and found that every occurrence would be
served just as well with an initializing fill value (which RScheme lacks,
hence my mistaken impression).

--
-- Donovan Kolbly                    (  d.kolbly@xxxxxxxxxxx
				     (  http://www.rscheme.org/~donovan/