Twos complement assumption, other issues

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 60 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 60 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

The SRFI assumes that integers are represented in two's complement
form, and states as such.  Since R5RS makes no such assumption,
perhaps it would be worthwhile to have a line or two (maybe in the
implementation or rational sections) noting that the functions can be
implemented by converting to/from twos complement as necessary, but
that the majority of implementations already treat integers this way.

In other discussions, I also prefer SRFI-33's names (and title!), as
both follow Scheme's naming tradition of preferring clarity and
consistency to succinctness.

Finally, I'm not a mathematician, but including Gray codes in what is
otherwise a general SRFI seems a bit odd.  It seems that to include
them, they should have both widespread applications in computer
science, and not be possible to implement efficiently as a portable
library on top of this SRFI.  If both are true I have no objection.

   Scott