Re: Floating-point formats and standards

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 58 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 58 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

>Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
>> This approach combines rank, dimensions, and new floats.
>
>Initial impression: I love it!

I think it's a keeper.   This gives clear syntax for
vectors and arrays, ways to unambiguously write all the
degenerate cases, compatibility with quote and quasiquote,
and compatibility with existing forms and common lisp
forms, without using up a lot of # namespace.

I think I call it a winner.

>> The prefix syntax is:
>>
>>   array-prefix :: rank `A' [ dimensions ] [ `:' type-specifier ] |
>>                        `A' dimensions [ `:' type-specifier ]
>
>Would you mind terribly making the A optional in the second syntax?
>
>    array-prefix :: rank  `A'  [ dimensions ] [ `:' type-specifier ]
>                  |      [`A']   dimensions   [ `:' type-specifier ]
>
>I realize that it complicates parsing a bit, but it also unifies the
>dimension syntax with the #n(...) vector syntax of Common Lisp and PLT
>Scheme.

Hmmm.  Be careful of adding *too* many complications.  We want to
keep the implementation bar reasonably low. But I think compatibility
is worth it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner.

				Bear