Re: Floating-point formats and standards

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 58 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 58 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

That's very informative summary.

From: "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+srfi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Floating-point formats and standards
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 04:22:27 -0800

> Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> > New name    Sig   Exp   Old name   Currently implemented by
> >
> > binary16     11     5

Just a note.  Currently, 16-bit binary floating-point numbers
(called half floats) getting wider use in images; graphics
processors directly deals with them, and ILM's OpenEXR image
format stores values in them.

It may be too early to consider them in this srfi, but I can
imagine I'd like to have uniform arrays of binary16 some day.

--shiro