Re: #\a octothorpe syntax vs SRFI 10

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 58 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 58 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Aubrey Jaffer wrote:
> The updated SRFI-58 provides clarification about rank 0 ....

That's not the same thing as a rank with a zero dimension. In the
current syntax, you'd write a 0x2x3 array as #3A(), I think. How does
(ARRAY-RANK '#3A()) figure out that it's 0x2x3 instead of, say, 0x5x7?

However, since you mention it, SRFI 47 does not support rank-0 arrays as
written; MAKE-ARRAY requires at least one bound. SRFI 58 does not yet
correct this.

>> I think #,(ARRAY ...) syntax is appropriate for some arrays.  It would
>> permit a good, general notation for arbitrary arrays, based on the
>> MAKE-ARRAY function of SRFI 47.

>> For example (using the common "brackets = parens" syntax for clarity):
>>
>>     #,(ARRAY #() (2 2) [[a b] [c d]])    ; 2x2 heterogeneous array
>>     #,(ARRAY (AS32) (2 2) [[1 2] [3 4]]) ; 2x2 array of 32-bit fixnums

> With brackets this looks good.  Without brackets it would be a mess.

It's about the same as the new ARRAY procedure, just as a reader syntax.
However, I later realized that SRFI 10 isn't so good for arrays, since
it's incompatible with quasiquotation. (The SRFI 10 syntax doesn't
support it, and I think it may be incompatible with quasiquotation on a
conceptual level.)

>> Specifying the dimensions also permits a convenient shorthand for
>> repetitive arrays: If there aren't enough elements for a dimension,
>> simply repeat the last element.  For example, #100(1) is shorthand
>> for #(1 1 1 1 ... 1) in MzScheme, and #100() is shorthand for #(0 0
>> ... 0).  A similar array syntax could use the analogous #A100x100()
>> to get a very large zero matrix.

> What is the utility of an immutable large zero matrix?  That shorthand
> could be useful in calls to the ARRAY (or LIST->ARRAY) procedure, but
> for literal arrays it is wasted.

It's more useful for writer/reader syntax than it is for literal arrays,
but it's still handy for the occasional zero matrix and for arrays that
vary only in the first few elements. Not a big deal, just noting that
there's prior art here.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd