Re: Mixing characters and bytes

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 56 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 56 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Note that neither use-case is supported by SRFI-68 unless
> you stick to UTF-8 or go down into the stream level.

The operative word is "stream level" here.  You've argued throughout
that its usefulness is questionable, but when its usefulness becomes
apparent, you seem reluctant to use it.

> Second, some ports are text-only, in the sense that they cannot
> meaningfully support byte operations.  This includes the string ports
> specified by SRFI 6.

The string ports specified in SRFI 6 can support byte operations
perfectly meaningfully.  I believe SRFI 68 contains a variation of it.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike