Re: finalize or withdraw?

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 56 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 56 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Alex Shinn <alexshinn@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 8/20/05, Michael Sperber <sperber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> You have seen that SRFI 68 addresses all of these issues, right?
>
> Yes, SRFI-68 can easily handle all of these issues, simply using
> READ/WRITE-U8 for READ/WRITE-BYTE.  This is because SRFI-68 makes no
> distinction between binary and character ports.  If we're willing to
> drop that distinction, then the whole problem disappears, but we've
> abandoned implementations that don't let you directly mix binary and
> text operations (notably all Java implementations, and C implementations
> using wchar).

I don't quite understand what you mean here---it's true that you
probably can't use the underlying abstractions for text I/O, but you
certainly can perform text I/O using the facilities in SRFI 68,
building on the underlying binary I/O.  Trying to build a
multi-encoding text I/O system that's magically compatibly with what
the common platforms have (i.e. the common implementations of wchar,
.NET, Java etc.), and still functionally desirable is hard, and I have
trouble seeing the benefits.

> Another way of looking at it is that SRFI-68 is flexible enough to allow
> us to create new port types with an explicit binary vs character
> distinction.

That distinction is really anathema to its design approach---see the
Design Rationale section.

> If we were to do that, then what API should we use when we
> inevitably need to serialize/deserialize Scheme string objects
> to/from binary ports?  A SRFI-68 approach might be to combine
> READ-BLOB-N with a utility procedure
>
>   (BLOB->STRING str [encoding])
>
> probably implemented on top of blob-input-stream and transcoder.
> This generalizes into the first category of solutions, using specific
> procedures to read and write text to binary ports.

I don't understand what this would buy---could you elaborate?

--
Cheers =8-} Mike