Re: bytes vs. octets

Alex Shinn <foof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 15 Sep 2004 18:01:18 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> >
> > So go ahead and name the functions whatever you want, after taking all
> > factors into account.  But don't then back up your decision with the
> > dishonest claim that your usage is "universally accepted".
>
> You're right, I meant "universally understood."

If you mean that people will not be significantly confused by the SRFI
(especially given the explicit statement "this means eight bits") I
agree with you there, which is why, while I wish you had chosen
"octet", I do think you considered both sides of the question with
reasonable care, and you haven't made an insane choice.  So I don't
object to the SRFI itself, nor the procedure with which you went about
making a decision.

Thomas