Re: bytes vs. octets

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 56 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 56 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Alex Shinn <foof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 15 Sep 2004 18:01:18 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> >
> > So go ahead and name the functions whatever you want, after taking all
> > factors into account.  But don't then back up your decision with the
> > dishonest claim that your usage is "universally accepted".
>
> You're right, I meant "universally understood."

If you mean that people will not be significantly confused by the SRFI
(especially given the explicit statement "this means eight bits") I
agree with you there, which is why, while I wish you had chosen
"octet", I do think you considered both sides of the question with
reasonable care, and you haven't made an insane choice.  So I don't
object to the SRFI itself, nor the procedure with which you went about
making a decision.

Thomas