Re: Truth in advertising

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 55 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 55 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Hi Felix,

> If we restrict ourselves to SRFIs that can be implemented on any R5RS
> system without changes, we would get nowhere.

I'm not suggesting that we should restrict ourselves to SRFIs that can
be implemented using only R5RS features. Neither am I suggesting that we
limit ourselves to SRFIs that can be implemented on all "common" Schemes
(although it may be a good idea). Sorry if I've not been clear.

However, I think it would be reasonable to explicitly state in the SRFI
document whether a SRFI (a) can be implemented using only R5RS features;
(b) can be implemented in all common Schemes using non-R5RS features; or
(c) cannot be implemented in all common Schemes.

Obviously, "all common Schemes" is open to interpretation, but it should
certainly include Scheme48, and so, in the spirit of full disclosure,
SRFI-55 should include a statement along the lines of (c).

Regards,

Alan
--
Dr Alan Watson
Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica UNAM