Re: Initial comments & questions

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 53 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 53 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

At Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:15:51 -0500 (EST), Andre van Tonder wrote:

> Perhaps one could state something like:
>
>   For portability, this SRFI implements forms
>
>      define-syntax*
>      let-syntax*
>      letrec-syntax*

I think it's best to go all or nothing here.  Require define-syntax
handle both syntax-rules and computation-rules, or use a separate form.
If you only suggest the new behavior, and throw in compatibility forms,
Schemes that can easily extend define-syntax will do so and those that
can't won't, and people writing in the former Schemes will produce code
that won't work in the latter Schemes.  You end up actually making the
result less portable.

Anyway, any Scheme can trivially handle both by renaming define-syntax
to something like internal-define-syntax and building a new
define-syntax on top of that.

--
Alex