Re: Encodings.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:19:21PM -0500, Paul Schlie wrote:
> From the best I can tell, there is no difference between opening a
> file using C's fopen function in binary mode or text mode, with the
> exception Of local conversion of new-line marker character(s) in VMS,
> MS-whatever, UNIX, MAC, etc.; both can be read/written logically
> sequentially ....

Yes, the "text is filtered binary stream" abstraction is very common.
But it is not universal. It is not true on MVS, for example. (When I
wrote "VMS" earlier, it was a typo for "MVS.") Indeed, it's partly
because of systems like MVS that C makes the distinction between text
and binary mode. If you insist on forcing that abstraction into Scheme
standards, then you make it impossible to sensibly implement Scheme on
many mainframe computers and anything else where that abstraction is
invalid.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd