Re: Encodings.

Record based text common on some pda's cell phones, etc. aren't files
they're simple data base fields which are access through distinct api's
which have no relationship to conventional C file functions for example.

You'll like this (therefore), it's likely ideally necessary to define
a common convention by which scheme may call C and/or Java foreign
procedures ala a c-lambda function and implied related facilities for
example, through which formatted text, numerical, and/or binary objects
which may represent encoded images and/or icon values (in whatever format
they require) may be passed back and forth. (back to srfi-50 I guess)

-paul-