Re: Encodings.

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 52 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 52 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

I'm apologize if my tone was interpreted as being antagonistic.

Although I may have abused the use of "canonical", my intent was to suggest
that raw data I/O represents the fundamental basis required to support
arbitrarily encoded data access; and in that respect, tried to suggest that
null-encoding may be thought of as root canonical encoded form (where a null
encoding transform does nothing, therefore lossless, fully preserving all
the originally encoded data states in their native form); where then
subsequent encoding transforms may be applied once within the scheme
environment as required to extract more specific interpretation of the data
as required, based on assumption or knowledge of its encoded representation
through some means.

However under no circumstances should scheme I/O be presumed to be based on
any particular character encoding which may be different than the host
platforms presumption; as otherwise the scheme's I/O interface would then
need to presume the responsibility to transcode it's I/O, potentially
destroying the integrity of data encoded in other forms (as you yourself
implied). Although I don't think I have any axe to grind, I do have an
interest in either preserving the use of character I/O as a useable basis
for generalized data access, or requiring an alternative be formally
defined, if the present character data types and I/O facilities prevent
their use as such. (With respect to scheme identifiers being validly formed
from an extremely broad character set, I simply just don't think it a good
idea for the reasons I stated, but admittedly a lesser concern.)

Thanks, -paul-