Re: Encodings.

This page is part of the web mail archives of SRFI 52 from before July 7th, 2015. The new archives for SRFI 52 contain all messages, not just those from before July 7th, 2015.

Back to dumb questions.

I assume that it is useful to distinguish the two goals of
	extending programming language identifiers
and	processing Unicode data.

For identifiers, either we have EQ? preserving literals, or "literalization of
bits" (I.e. string preservation).

So w.r.t. identifiers, why is normalization needed at all? To my mind,
normalization is a library procedure (set of procedures) for dealing with
Unicode data/codepoints.

Defining valid identifier syntax such that case folding of (unnormalized)
identifier literals should be sufficient.

What am I missing?

Another note.  Characters are currently dealt with in a fairly abstract
manner.  It would seem that in dealing with Unicode data as binary data
(codepoints), R6RS/SRFI/... must define a binary IO API.

$0.02,
-KenD